Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tri Minus Seven: Drafting, Blocking and Flats

In our biking segment there are very specific rules that we have to follow or be disqualified.
First NO DRAFTING!    Here is a link that shows the generic rules on the prohibition on drafting.   I wouldn't be comfortable drafting anyway but I need to pay attention that I also don't violate the NO BLOCKING rule too, by accident.
Drafting Rules



The "bummer" rule is that nobody can help me change a flat or that can get me dis-qualified too.   I have to admit that I never learned how to change a flat tire.  It is more complicated than you can image and now I really regret that I never focused on that.   I've always biked with Joe or biked in events where that wasn't the rule.  I found out about this yesterday and am a little dismayed.   So of all the things I have to worry about,  I really need to not have a flat.    I am taking Reba into the bike spa on Thursday for her mani/pedi.  I may ask them to put in new tubes just to be on the safe side in case the tubes are old.  Now that I think about it,  those tubes are old and probably on the verge of dry-rot.

There are other funny rules too.  For example, a spectator, like a hubby, can't hand one a snack on the road.  We have to leave the transition area fully prepared and not rely on any help on the road.   Also, if one leaves the transition area and the helmet strap isn't fastened,  that is disqualifying.  I can appreciate that one for safety.   No iPods are allowed.  I get that one too.   Here is a funny one:  doing the running segment while wearing one's bike helmet is disqualifying.  Shoot me if I forget to take my helmet off---I am really off my rocker if I do that.    Also nudity in the transition area is prohibited.  Thank goodness!

Today's forecast for Sunday at Lake Lanier, GA:
Overnight Low 60 degrees   ( we will gather at 4:45 am to go to the transition area for 7 am start)
High 79 degrees
Mostly sunny.
Winds ENE 6 mph

Current water temps are estimated at 69 degrees ( a little chilly).  I've already beat that wet suit thing to death.

Reba asked me to ask to you pray that her tubes hold out for 19 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment