Friday, May 11, 2012

Tri Minus 10 The Conference Call

We had a conference call today with the TNT staff in Atlanta who will look after us.  Most of the info was mundane but there was one very interesting tidbit.      The participants will go off in waves.   This is usually by age or expected time.  In the case of TNT,  all the TNT folks will be in a wave together regardless of age or swimming ability,  wave 3 or 4, out of 9 waves.    That may not sound like good news to you but here is the important part.   The swimming section closes after 30 minutes.  That is 30 minutes after the last wave goes in the water it is closed.  By being in an early wave,  we essentially get an extra 15 minutes to complete the swimming portion, should one of us need a little extra time.  Wow,  that takes a LOT of pressure off.  Frankly I am confident I will be out of swimming well in advance of 30 minutes but this takes all the strain off.   I thought I would be in the last wave (by age) and be stuck with the time limit as written.
And,  I was impressed with the safety plan explained to us (especially for the water part) and the assurances that the TNT staff people and those running the event have talked about safety.

I tried on my tri top and it fits beautifully.   I have a few last minute things to work on.   I've ordered Yankz,  the shoe laces that don't tie but have a plastic piece you pull to tighten.  That will make putting on and taking off two pairs of shoes more efficient.    Here is a funny YouTube video that explains Yankz.
YouTube Video on Yankz

Thx to our DIL in Dayton for the SPIBELT she gave me.   It will be in my transition area to put on while biking and running.   The zip compartment looks really small but it is stretchy and will even hold my iPhone.    I hope to make one FB posting from the course and take a picture or two.  After all,  it is about having fun.
And  I will wear a Road ID bracelet.   These are very useful.   They also have ones that velcro to running or biking shoes but since I am also swimming, the rubber bracelet is the most practical.  Mine has my name and Joe's and an 800 number to call to get more personal info about me, should I not be able to talk. I am not trying to be negative but stuff can happen and it is better to be prepared in case of emergency.
These are cool, sporty looking ID "jewelry" for anybody who has a medical condition too and who doesn't want to wear a traditional medical bracelet or necklace.   They'd make a great Father's Day gift to a Dad who is diabetic or who takes special meds.


Reba says goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment