Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tri Minus One: House Arrest, Inspiration Dinner

It was a busy day as predicted.   After registering for the event,  we attended a talk about the course and the USTA rules which govern the event.

Senea, Karin, Milly (blonds have more fun!)
Joe and I went to the transition area to "rack" Reba.  Only participants are allowed in the area but family can stand just outside the fence and give advice :-).   All the TNT bikes are racked together.  I fooled around, deciding which direction to rack.  As we were leaving,  we saw somebody who put a towel under the front tire, presumably to keep the tire from over-heating on the hot asphalt as the day heated up.  So, Joe went to our car and retrieved a towel so I could do the same with my front tire.  Since I have the super-duper thorn resistant tires I didn't let out any air, on the advice of my bike mechanic at Star Bike on Montgomery X.  He aired my tires to 95% of the 120 pounds they can take.   I hope I made the right decision today because it was hot.



Note all the port-a-potties in the background!  We were early so the racks hadn't filled in yet.

I did a practice swim in full outfit with the Atlanta team.  So far so good.  The water temp is mid 70's, brisk getting in but it felt good after a swim. 

At the transition area we picked up the chips we have to wear from start to finish.  We will pass over mats which record our time in the water, out of water starting transition #1, out of transition starting biking, back into transition for #2, out of transition to start the run, and the final recording at the finish line.
The chip goes around the ankle.   Think of house arrest--not that I've ever had it but I read People magazine at the nail salon about Lindsey Lohan.  PS bunion surgery is not on the agenda this year.


The Inspiration Dinner was as expected with lots of hurrahs for the team, the coaches, our family supporters, and volunteers.  Then we got to the part when a survivor talks to us.  "Susan" is part of the Atlanta team.   She was diagnosed in 2003 at age 39 with leukemia.   She talked about how terribly hard her treatments were and how she was so physically debilitated by them but how gradually she re-gained her physical strength and has been living a normal life.   Ironically, she found out that her great-grandmother was also diagnosed with leukemia at age 39 in 1920-something.  Her great grandmother died as there were no treatments then.  Susan was here standing in front of us a survivor.    Then she dropped the bombshell and revealed she is no longer in remission.   She and her oncologist agreed in December that she could delay her treatments so that she could do IronGirl, something that was a bucket list item for her.   My jaw dropped and I hope to be able to talk to her tomorrow to find out more about her treatment plans.
Thanks to YOU guys,  moi, yours truly, received a fund-raising recognition.  Thank you from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!     Our GA group raised $70k.  Since inception TNT has raised $1.2 billion dollars,  billion with a b.   Five Hundred Thousand amateur athletes have been trained and participated in endurance sporting events.

So,  can I sleep tonight?  Not likely.  We have to get up about 4:30am.   Even Joe says he doesn't think he can sleep.   The good news is that the whole thing will be over by 10-ish.  It is like a wedding with months of preparation and anxiety and POW! it will be over in a flash.  I am in Wave #4 with the red swim caps.

Another funny thing happened today.  I was minding my own business at the registration area when a magazine writer approached me.  She told me that they are working on an article with the sponsor Athleta on participants that are "over a certain age" wink wink. Of course one doesn't know whether to be flattered or offended ha ha.    She asked if I would like to be part of it.  I said yes as long as Team in Training gets mentioned.  She took photographs and got my info.   I am curious what will come of that but I hope TNT gets some publicity out of it.

Keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow.  Bibb number 144 is my new lucky number.



  


1 comment: