Friday, May 18, 2012

Tri Minus Two: Lanier Islands Resort

We arrived!   Given a choice of taking a lot of backroads or going around Atlanta near rush hour,  we choose the scenic route, passing just west of Athens.   The resort is beautiful and the lake really looks wonderful.  What a setting.   I can't wait to see more tomorrow.
We hung out with an adult beverage in Karin and Senea's room, plotting the century ride we all want to do in 2013.  Karin suggests that Joe be the biking coach and I think that is a splendid idea.  He is well qualified for it.   We want to do the TNT century (100 miles) at Lake Tahoe.  Hint hint Jennie! The event bills itself as "the most scenic" century ride in the USA.  I don't doubt it.  In TNT culture,  one strives for a triple crown.  That is doing one each of a marathon, triathlon, and century ride.    We all are lacking a TNT century to get our triple crown--which is only about bragging right.

Folks in the lobby looked askance at me carrying my bike through the lobby but no way is Reba sleeping out in a cold dark parking lot.   She is now tucked in for the night in our hotel room.  I carried her and didn't want the valet messing with her newly fine-tuned brakes and gears.   The thorn-proof tubes seem to agree with her.
I am not superstitious but I don't tempt fate either.   I've been wearing a special necklace for the last couple of weeks.  The cross belonged to my godmother, Marguerite Martin, when she was a toddler.  If she were alive she'd be 103 or 104 so I reckon the cross is 100 years old.  After 9-11 I wore this cross for about 60 days because I was so shaken by the events.   I am counting on its continuing good luck this weekend.
  Tomorrow will be a very busy day.   We have a meeting to hear details and rules about the course.   I can attend a seminar about changing flat tires (not).   We have the opportunity to swim with all the TNT folks at 3pm to get used to the water course.  I am certainly doing that,  hoping to overcome my jitters.  We are required to check in to get our bib number and we are required to set up our transition area with bike, helmet, and shoes.   Joe and I plan to drive the bike course to see the elevation changes.  Karin and Senea did that this afternoon and give it a thumbs up. And,  we have the Inspiration Dinner with all the TNT people.  Let the crying begin.  I will bawl like a baby from start to end as we hear survivors speak about the impact  of new drugs on their survival.   This dinner is what hooks everyone.  I don't know the stats but I suspect that there is a high percent of "repeat" participants in TNT because we all get hooked on the mission.  After the dinner I have to paint my body, putting my mission message on my arms and legs.  It is something of a TNT tradition to honor survivors and memorialize those who lost the battle.   And,  I have to make my breakfast for game day.  I brought peanut butter, a hard boiled egg, a mini bagel, and  a banana for breakfast at 4:30am Sunday.  I can't risk eating something untested so I packed a cooler with my favorite stuff that I know sits well in my tummy.
I'll have lots of pix tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment