Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tri-umphing over Monsters and Bugs

I've been out of action for a week.  I had a nasty stomach bug that has been moving around the neighborhood.  After the bad stuff was over,  I was wiped out, woozy, and dizzy for three days later, weak as a kitten.      Yesterday was my first day back in the saddle, so to speak.   I did 15 miles on the bike and felt good.  Today we had group training so I went back to the scene of the crime,  THE LAGOON, to get back in the water and stop being such a head-case over the open water swimming.   Hubby went to and snapped a  few pix.   After the lagoon training we went to the waterfront in downtown to see the Tall Ships that are here.  After returning home,  I just did 20 miles on the bike.    
AND,  the triathlon is exactly two weeks from today.   Yikes!

Back to the lagoon...today was a much better weather day and it was very refreshing to jump in at the dock of TNT friends who let us train at Scarborough Cove.
Mattie the house lab watched as we set off down the lagoon.  I swam between two buoys today to better practice the swim in murky water.   The experience was much better today than the first day;  I am now convinced the Loch Ness Monster doesn't live in this lagoon and  hoping to have another practice here over the next two weeks before the 20th.
I am wearing the triathlon bottoms I will wear during the event.   They are great for swimming but have a very thin biking chamois (not so thick to feel like a wet diaper after getting out of the water).   Here I am wearing a bathing suit top but at the event I will have over it my TNT triathlon top which we don't have yet.
After the swim we went to see the Tall Ships on the downtown waterfront.  Little Miss Hannah got to go too and enjoyed the people watching in a shady spot.



After the Tall Ships excursion I did 20 miles on my bike around Skidaway Island, really working on my speed.    We will do 19 miles on the tri course, which isn't so bad.  

I wore the tri bottoms wet because after all that is what the conditions will be at the event when I get out of the water and get on the bike.  Not surprising they dried in a flash while going 16-18 mph on the bike.
I have plenty of time over two weeks to get in several more 20 mile bike rides.  Tomorrow night I have spin class which is very good to simulate hills that I can't get on Skidaway.  I am also planning to get in two/week pool workouts and (hopefully) at least one more lagoon outing.  Have you noticed I haven't mentioned that pesky running?  I've done some treadmill running only.  I plan to wing it for 5K and walk half of it if I have to.   I will finish but it won't be pretty.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment